Ready to give blood for the first time, and feeling a little nervous? Below are a few tips for new donors.
- Make sure you are fit and well-rested before giving blood.
- Eat and drink enough before you go, do not donate on an empty stomach.
- After donating blood, you can have something to eat and drink at the donation location to prevent you from feeling faint (dizzy).
- After donating, it is a good idea to take it easy for the rest of the day. We recommend you not engage in intensive sports or strenuous physical labour after donating blood.
- It is a good idea to postpone visiting a sauna for at least a day after giving blood.
Want to know more?
- Practical matters and blood donations