Innovative diagnostics in blood coagulation
Principal investigator: Prof Joost Meijers PhD
In coagulation diagnostics, the majority of assays are more than 60 years old. Platelet aggregation assays, prothrombin time and activated partial thromboplastin time measurements are still very important in the diagnosis of patients. However, in recent years there has been great interest in additional more sophisticated testing, including in vitro thrombin generation, thromboelastography and testing coagulation and platelets simultaneously under flow conditions. Our aim is to implement and modify assays for better determination of hypo- and hypercoagulability. Therefore, the available tests are used in combination with specific antibodies or other agents to specifically test global or individual components of blood coagulation.
- Muller MC, Meijers JCM, Vroom MB, Juffermans NP. Thromboelastography and/or thromboelastometry in sepsis – a systematic review. Critical care in press 2014.
- Potze W, Arshad F, Adelmeijer J, Blokzijl H, van den Berg AP, Meijers JCM, Porte RJ, Lisman T. Differential in vitro inhibition of thrombin generation by anticoagulant drugs in plasma from patients with cirrhosis. PLoS One 2014; 9(2):e88390.
- Potze W, Arshad F, Adelmeijer J, Blokzijl H, van den Berg AP, Meijers JCM, Porte RJ, Lisman T. Decreased tissue factor pathway inhibitor (TFPI)-dependent anticoagulant capacity in patients with cirrhosis who have decreased protein S but normal TFPI plasma levels. Br J Haematol 2013; 162(6):819-26.
- Bakhtiari K, Kamphuisen PW, Mancuso ME, Hamulyak K, Schutgens REG, Santagostino E, Meijers JCM. Clot lysis phenotype and response to recombinant factor VIIa in plasma of haemophilia A inhibitor patients. Br J Haematol 2013; 162(6):827-35.
- van Montfoort ML, Stephan F, Lauw MN, Hutten BA, van Mierlo GJ, Solati S, Middeldorp S, Meijers JCM, Zeerleder S. Circulating nucleosomes and neutrophil activation as risk factors for deep vein thrombosis. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2013; 33(1):147-51.